Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 is a permanent resident visa which entitles the holders to live in Australia indefinitely. Generally, individuals who are not sponsored by their relatives, employer or state government apply for 189 Visa to live and work anywhere in Australia permanently. The applicants of this visa are required to fill the EOI (Expression of Interest) form to apply for skilled visa in Australia. Citizens from New Zealand must apply for the Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 under New Zealand Visa Stream.
Who is the right candidate to apply for this visa?
The applicants who qualify the below requirements set by the immigration authority of Australia can apply for the Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 in Australia:
- Must be proficient in English Language
- Be less than 45 years of age at the time of application
- Must possess eligible skilled occupation
- Score minimum 60 pass marks in the Skilled Migration Points Test
- Skill Assessment for the nominated occupation by a recognized organization
- Must be nominated and invited by the state or territory government to apply for the skilled visa in Australia
What a Regional Sponsor Visa holder can do in Australia?
The Skilled Independent 189 Visa allows you to live, work and study in Australia permanently. This visa also entitles you to enroll in Medicare (a health insurance plan) and avail healthcare services. It also allows the applicants to bring eligible family members to Australia and sponsor them for permanent residence.
Once the 189 Skilled Visa is received the applicants can travel in and out of Australia any number of times for five years. On completion of five years, you will require the Resident Return Visa (RRV) to move to Australia, if you travel out of the country.
General eligibility measures of this visa
An Applicant can be eligible to apply for Skilled Nominated Subclass 190 Visa if they have been invited by the State or Territory Government and fulfill the following criteria:
- Meet eligible skilled occupation and other requirements to qualify for work in Australia.
- Must be proficient in English language (represented by the score in an approved English language test)
- Fulfill the character and health requirements
- Do not bear any on-going debts to the Australian government and repay if any
If you have had visa cancellation during your visit to Australia, you are not eligible to apply for Independent Visa Subclass 189.
Share this information with your friends:
Get Advice From Our Experts
General Question and Answers for 189 Visa:
How much will it cost to apply for this visa?
The application cost of Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 is AUD 3,755.
How long will it take to process this visa application?
All the 189 Visa applications are processed within 8 to 10 months.
For how long I can stay in Australia on this visa?
The Skilled 189 visa lasts forever starting from the date it is granted.
What is an Expression of Interest?
An expression of Interest (EOI) provides information about why applicants need this visa to rank them against other aspiring candidates. You can submit EOI free of cost from anywhere. Once submitted, EOIs are valid for two years.
What are the steps to apply for Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)?
- Check your eligibility for skilled occupation if you have 60 points.
- Enter relevant information such as qualification, skills and proposed occupation in the EOI form.
- Hold-up till you get invitation for the visa (if you rank high).
- Collect all the documents.
- You must apply for the visa within 60 days after you have been invited.
- The visa will be processed soon.
Do I have to be in Australia to apply for this visa?
you can apply for the Skilled Independent Visa from in or outside of Australia.
How long will I have to wait for the invitation to apply for this visa?
The invitation for visa application can be received within time interval of two years after the submission of EOI. It is mandatory to apply for the visa within 60 days.
What if I don’t receive an invitation?
If two years elapse after you have submitted your EOI, you will be notified of the expiration of your EOI. You can submit a fresh EOI if you are still seeking the visa.