Overseas students who wish to study in one of the leading education destinations, Australia can apply for Student Visa Subclass 500 to fulfill their dream of studying in a foreign country. This visa lets you take up a full-time course of study at an accredited institution of Australia. Other facilities that are attached to this visa are:

  • One can live and study for up to 5 years in Australia on this visa; and
  • One can work 20 hours a week to support their general living costs in Australia

Who is the right candidate to apply for this visa?

An individual might apply for Student Visa Australia if:

  • Your request of study is approved by the Australian institution
  • They have received a confirmation of enrolment (CoE) from an accredited Australian institute
  • They have made proper financial and living arrangements to stay in Australia if under younger than 18 years of age

What a Student visa holder can do in Australia?

Once the Student Visa Subclass 500 is granted, you can study in Australia at a CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students) registered institute for a full-time course. The Visa 500 even allows your eligible family members to join you in Australia. Forty hours of work per fortnight while the course in underway and unlimited number of hours during semester breaks, no working hour restrictions for student of a master’s degree in research or doctoral degree are the other important highlights of this visa.

General eligibility measures of this visa?

To be able to apply for Student Visa Australia, you must meet the following requirements.

  • Have enrolled in Australia’s health insurance which is popularly known as Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). OSHC covers certain medical costs while you are in Australia on student visa.
  • Have met the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) criteria
  • Depending on the country you originate from, you must prove a certain proficiency in the English language by securing a satisfactory test score in any approved English language test such as IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, etc.
  • Must satisfy the financial requirements (not necessary for a few nationalities) that covers all the necessary costs (food, shelter and transportation) for studying in Australia.
  • You must meet certain health requirements by undergoing a health examination from a registered health practitioner (if applicable).

Share this information with your friends:

Get Advice From Our Experts

Contact us on (08) 6245 1247
To make an Appointment

FAQ’s of Student Visa Subclass 500

Can I use my offer letter to apply for student visa?

The applicant can use offer letter to apply for Student Visa only if they are onshore and to get the visa grant they must secure confirmation of enrolment from the Australian institution

Is Overseas Student Health Cover mandatory for this visa?

Yes, OSHC is a mandatory aspect to get the Student Visa 500 grant. However, the applicant does not require OSHC if one of the following is applicable to him/her:

  • a Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
  • a Swedish student(s) covered by the National Board of Student Aid or by Kammarkollegiet
  • a Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia.

How long is the English language test result will be valid for?

The language test remains valid for 2 years and you must apply for the Student Visa within the 2 years’ time of your test taken.

Is there any exemption from English language requirement?

If one of the following applies, the applicant does not need to provide evidence of an English test score with the visa application:

  • If the applicant is enrolled in full-time school studies as a principal course including in a secondary exchange programme, a postgraduate research course, a standalone English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS), and Foreign Affairs or Defense sponsored students.
  • If the applicant has completed at least five years’ study in one or more of the following countries: Australia, UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, or the Republic of Ireland.
  • If the applicant is a citizen and holds a passport from UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand or Republic of Ireland.

What are the applicable DHA fees?

The application fees starts from AUD 575 onwards.